Sporadic Sequential
Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Wednesday Post on Wednesday Comics

Here's something that might actually get me to go out of my way and visit a local comics shop: José Luis García-López is now handling the artistic duties on the Metal Men feature in DC's upcoming Wednesday Comics (via Mike Sterling, who has a scan of a great Garcia-López-illustrated Metal Men sequence from DC Comics Presents #4).

I've been curious about Wednesday Comics ever since details about the project first started to leak. It's certainly a bold move on DC's part, experimenting with the format in a way I can't recall a comics publisher trying before ("a 16-page weekly that unfolds to a sprawling 28" x 20" tabloid-sized reading experience bursting with mind-blowing color, action and excitement, with each feature on its own 14" x 20" page"). And the creative talent that's lined up is pretty impressive: Paul Pope, Neil Gaiman, Michael Allred, Kyle Baker, etc. In fact, every name that was added to the project only seemed to increase the appeal of the comic. That is, until the official solicitation came out and this was revealled, buried at the bottom in an almost embarrassed "one of these things is not like the other" manner:
* METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with Art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)
That single credit was enough to kill my interest in the project. Look, I don't care how groovy it is to see Paul Pope on Adam Strange or Mike Allred on Metamorpho (two of my all-time favorite artists on two of my favorite C-list DC characters!), I am not going to buy a comic that contains any art by Ian Churchill. So I'm very glad that DC made this creative team change-up. Curiously, the announcement doesn't mention the fact that Churchill was the original artist on the Metal Men strip, nor has the credit info been updated on DC's site. Hopefully Garcia-López is replacing Churchill right from the get-go, otherwise I'll be putting that copy of Wednesday Comics #1 right back on the shelf. (If Garcia-López doesn't start handling the art until later in the series, someone let me know when it happens, OK? Because I really need to see Mercury's new afro-tastic swingin' seventies human disguise in its full-color glory. It's almost as good as this.)

It's true: Everything's better with afros!

Labels: , , ,