Sporadic Sequential
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Love Manga

Inspired by this post listing the (highly controversial and debatable) 25 greatest superhero romances (via Kevin Melrose), I wondered: What are the greatest romances in manga? Here is my short, not-at-all-thoroughly-researched-or-considered list:
  1. Hoshino & Negishi (Love Roma)
  2. Ichigo & Rukia (Bleach)
  3. Ichigo & Orihime (Bleach)
  4. Haruo & Kingoro (Club 9)
  5. Hanamichi & Haruko (Slam Dunk)
  6. Giroro & Natsumi (Sgt. Frog)
  7. Tamama & Keroro (Sgt. Frog)
  8. Momoka & Fuyuki (Sgt. Frog)
  9. Kaneda & Kei (Akira)
  10. Emma & William (Emma)
  11. Kelly & Doug Stowner (Emma)
  12. L & Light (Death Note)
  13. Ichigo & Uryu (Bleach)
  14. Rukawa & Hanamichi (Slam Dunk)
  15. Ranma & Akane (Ranma ½)
  16. Yoshimori & Tokine (Kekkaishi)
  17. Daigo & Ms. Ochiai (Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M)
  18. Tomie & the male half of the human population (Tomie)
  19. Keiichi & Belldandy (Oh My Goddess!)
  20. Sachiko & Masato Azuma (With the Light)
Who am I leaving off? Who are the greatest lovers in all of manga? I don't read much shojo, so obviously my list is going to look a little lopsided to fans of more explicitly romantic manga. And I haven't read any yaoi, so that's a huge blind spot on my list. Feel free to correct that omission in the comments!

UPDATE: David Welsh corrects an oversight on my (and Tite Kubo's) part by giving quiet hunk Chad of Bleach fame the ultimate cross-series companion. Go check it out; I think you'll agree it's perfect and that we need to convince David to start writing the tale of their epic romance immediately.

UPDATE #2: Valéria Fernandes comes up with her own list (Google-translated version), and it's a nice balance to my shonen-heavy list as hers focuses more on shojo and josei series.

Labels: , , , ,