Sporadic Sequential
Monday, March 10, 2008
September's Gonna Be Slammin'!

It's going to be a long wait until September 2, which is when Viz will finally be releasing the first volume of their reissue of Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk. I originally started reading this series when it was first released in the U.S. by Gutsoon in the pages of their ill-fated weekly anthology Raijin Comics and immediately fell in love. Even after I stopped getting the magazine, I continued to read Slam Dunk in collected form. I can't believe I've been waiting four years for this series to return! I was reading through volume three again last night and now I can't remember what happens next in the scrimmage between Ryonan and Shohoku. (Gutsoon published five volumes of Slam Dunk, but I can only manage to find the third volume in my mess of an office. I know I gave away a couple volumes to try to entice friends to follow the series, but I have no idea what happened to the other books.) Depending on how quickly Viz releases new volumes, I may have to wait until 2010 to see the outcome of the matchup between Akagi and Uozumi! Or I could always subscribe to Shonen Jump and read the monthly serialization. Man, Bleach and Slam Dunk together in one magazine... It's like Viz is slowly putting together a manga magazine designed just for me. (If they add Club 9 I'll be powerless to resist getting a subscription.)



And in other exciting Takehiko Inoue news, September will also see the release of the first installment of the VIZBIG edition of Vagabond as well as the two Vagabond hardcover artbooks, Water and Sumi. (All three are listed as due out Sept. 16.)



Plus, Inoue's other basketball manga, Real, debuts in July, with the second volume out in October. It's definitely a good time to be a Takehiko Inoue fan!

* Viz, feel free to use this post's totally awesome title in your upcoming ad campaign for Slam Dunk. No thanks are necessary, but if you want to send me complimentary copies of Slam Dunk (or anything else by Inoue), feel free!

Labels: , , ,