Sporadic Sequential
Monday, August 20, 2007
Kekkaishi Cheers & Jeers

Cheers! to the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) for naming Kekkaishi as one of its nominees for 2007's Great Graphic Novels for Teens! The full list is here, while ComiPress has a list of just the manga nominees. (And extra Cheers! to David Welsh for pointing this out to me in the first place!)

Jeers! to Kekkaishi Volume 10 for including one of the worst character designs I've ever seen:


It's My Evil Pony, the Dark Centaur Version!

And right after I went on and on about how great the character designs in Kekkaishi were, too! (This always happens to me after I recommend something. Yes, I'm the one who's responsible for all of your favorite TV shows suddenly sucking in midseason.) At least the story is still good. As Katherine Dacey-Tsuei pointed out in her review, this is the installment where it all starts to hit the fan. You know a manga is skillfully crafted when it can still surprise you even after you feel like you've seen the same old storytelling tricks over and over again.

Labels: , , ,