Sporadic Sequential
Sunday, March 08, 2009
What's Black and White and Red All Over?

Here's an upcoming comic reprint I'm interested in: In his latest email newsletter, Steve Rude announced that he's launching an inexpensive, black-and-white version of the Nexus Archives. Here's the full text from the email:

NEXUS: AS IT HAPPENED BOOK 1
You guys have been requesting it for a long time and we're finally bringing the Nexus Archives out as a black and white paperback! Size will be just slightly smaller than a comic book on an excellent quality paper. The main cover is black and white, but the logo, etc, will be in color.

Overall a fantastic package at only $9.95.

In Previews April 2009 for a June 2009 release.
I can't find the announcement on Rude's website or MySpace blog and I don't see the book listed on Amazon or any other site, so hopefully this does come to pass. I think it's a great idea. I've been wanting to back and reread the whole Nexus series but I'm too lazy to dig out my singles and too cheap to spring for the hardcover books. Plus, I'm curious to see what Rude's artwork looks like in black and white. IIRC, the orginal series from Capital Comics was in black and white and that looked fine, but later issues were designed to be printed in color, so it'll be interesting to see what they look like reproduced without that detail removed.

Interesting use of the ten dollar "manga format." I'm assuming this will be the same page count as the color archives (roughly 200 pages a pop), which would make it a good bargain. Wonder if this will be coming out through Dark Horse or through Rude's own "Rude Dude" publishing company?

Also, I just realized that Nexus is a comic I'd be curious to see translated into a movie. Done right, it could be a rip-roarin' sci-fi blast. Of course, I doubt Hollywood would get it right and I'd just sit there complaining about how they didn't capture any of the magic or joy of Rude's imagination or character design.

Labels: , , , ,