Sporadic Sequential
Monday, November 27, 2006
The New Yorker on Manga

In the latest issue of The New Yorker (Nov. 27, 2006 cover date -- the one with the multiple Chris Ware covers), there's a two-page cartoon by Roz Chast about her alienating experiences with manga:


[Click for larger images]

I've never really cared for Chast's work, so perhaps my general dislike is coloring my reaction to this piece, but I thought the strip was borderline xenophobic: "What's that THING sticking out of her friend's head? Oh, well -- guess I'll never know." Yeah, because it's impossible to do any research about the different visual cues used by another culture.

UPDATE: David Cabrera identifies the incomprehensible manga in the strip as Futari Ecchi (here's the Wikipedia entry for the series as well), and Jeff Lester has a more charitable interpretation of the comic than I did.