Sporadic Sequential
Thursday, September 14, 2006
Happy Happy Happy!

Now that I've stopped preordering, I feel kind of left out from one of those regular features on other comic blogs: The Weekly (or Monthly) Shopping List. So to make up for it, I've decided to share with you the contents of a large order I just received from Buy.com. Just look at all this loot!!

Manga:
  • Eternal Sabbath Vol. 1 - This has been getting a lot of buzz around the blogosphere lately as something that would appeal to fans of Death Note and Monster, so color me intrigued.
  • Project X - Datsun Fairlady Z - The other Project X book was fun in a kind of goofy, stilted way, and I'd love to see more "business" manga translated here, so I thought I'd give this one a shot.
  • Uzumaki Vol. 1 - Replacing the old copy I gave away to I don't even remember who.
  • Yakitate!! Japan - David Welsh's review sold me on this.
  • Bleach Vol. 14 - The next installment of my favorite action manga! Whoo-hoo!!
Nostalgic Superhero Comics:
  • Showcase Presents: Elongated Man - Must...resist...urge to make bad Identity Crisis jokes.
  • Showcase Presents: Haunted Tank - Another purchase inspired by a review from a David, only this time it was Mr. Campbell's impassioned two-part overview that won me over.
  • Showcase Presents: Teen Titans - I already have the Archives edition of the first half of this, but it's still a bargain to get so much classic Nick Cardy art at so cheap a price.
Other:
  • Mad Night - I love Richard Sala's quirky cartoonish-yet-dark art, so this should be fun.
  • Walt and Skeezix: Book Two - Book One was one of my top picks last year, so I'm looking forward to catching up with Walt and Skeezix again and seeing how their relationship develops. (Right as my own adventures in parenting reaches its second year as well, so that's a nice bit of synchronicity that should add some emotional resonance to the strips.)
  • Banana Sunday - This was one of my all-time favorite comics when I read the single issues, so I'm happy to have this in a more durable collected form. (Plus, Go-Go reminds me of my daughter in terms of sheer unbridled curiosity and energy, so there's another personal parenting parallel.)
  • Making Comics - I've been eagerly awaiting this book ever since attending Scott McCloud's lecture a couple months ago.
  • Chewing Gum in Church - Steven Weissman's "Yikes" collections always make me smile.
  • Klezmer: Tales of the Wild East - Yay, more Joann Sfar! And in the fancy-pants Collector's Edition format, to boot!!
And for a fun game you can play along with at home, guess how many of these books I'll ever get around to reviewing on this blog!